Affogato is a traditional Italian dessert consisting of chocolate or vanilla gelato, hot espresso, and fresh whipped cream. Affogato translates to “drowned” in English, hence why the gelato is “drowned” in a shot of espresso. This dessert is effortless and elegant, and it combines two of my very favorite things — chocolate and coffee! Homemade whipped cream takes the classic dessert one step closer to perfection.
Affogato is the perfect dessert any time of year — the hot espresso can warm you up on a chilly winter night, and the frozen gelato can refresh you in the summer heat. It doesn’t get much better than that! For more ways to satisfy your sweet tooth, check out some of my other favorite Italian desserts.
- 1/3 cup cold whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder, or fresh espresso
- 1 pint chocolate gelato or ice cream
- chocolate shavings for topping, if desired
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate the whipped cream.
- Whisk ½ cup boiling water and the espresso powder in a glass measuring cup until the powder is dissolved, or use an espresso machine to make 4 shots of espresso.
- Scoop ½ cup of the gelato or ice cream into each of 4 dessert bowls or glasses. Pour 2 tablespoons or 1 shot of hot espresso over each. Top with the whipped cream and serve immediately.