Photo Credit: Lauren Volo
Watermelon is hands down the summer fruit I love most. It transforms the standard tomato-mozz-basil caprese combo into a sexy, texturally complex dish that’s a lot more interesting.
Watermelon Caprese Salad
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups diced seedless watermelon about 1/2 of a small melon
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese diced into 3/4- inch cubes
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup torn basil leaves
- 1/4 cup torn tarragon leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts coarsely chopped
- Place the balsamic vinegar in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until it is reduced by about half and is slightly thick. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the watermelon, mozzarella, arugula, basil, tarragon, salt, and olive oil. Toss gently to coat. Just before serving, sprinkle with the toasted hazelnuts and drizzle with the reduced balsamic.