Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Beef filet always makes an occasion special, but in the case of these mini beef kebabs, it’s all in the parsley sauce – almost a fresh salsa – that makes the dish shine. For an interesting change, mix it up and substitute fresh pineapple chunks for the tomatoes; they make for a surprisingly harmonious combination. One note: don’t marinate the beef any longer than three hours, because the vinegar in the marinade will break down the meat and ruin its texture.
Steak Skewers with Parsley Sauce
- 3 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black peppers
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds beef filet cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 40 cubes)
- Vegetable or canola oil for the grill
- 40 cherry tomatoes about 2 pints
- In the bowl of a food processor, blend together the parsley, garlic, vinegar, red pepper flakes, sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, until smooth. With the machine running, gradually add the olive oil and process until incorporated. Spoon half of the sauce into a medium bowl. Spoon the remaining sauce in a small serving bowl; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Put the beef in the medium bowl with the parsley sauce. Toss well to coat the beef. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 hours.
- Place a grill pan over medium high heat, or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Lightly oil the grill pan or the grilling rack with vegetable oil.
- Thread the skewers starting with a cherry tomato, then a cube of beef. Repeat with another cherry tomato, another cube of beef, and then repeat one more time. Continue with the remaining skewers. Grill the skewers for 2 to 3 minutes on each side (for medium-rare) or until desired doneness. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, arrange the beef skewers on a serving platter. Drizzle with the reserved parsley sauce or serve the sauce on the side as a condiment.