Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Giada’s classic Italian Sausage and Peppers Sandwich recipe made even simpler, in the slow cooker. These hot Italian sausages are reminiscent of the kind you’ll find on street corners in Italy. Our version simmers to perfection in a flavorful mix of peppers, onions, garlic, tomato, a Parm rind, herbs… all the good stuff. The flavorful “broth” infuses into these sausages, making them extra tender and delicious.
Slow Cooker Italian Sausage and Peppers
- 1 14 ounce can cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper thinly sliced
- 1 red onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves smashed and peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 pounds raw spicy Italian sausages, about 8 sausages
- 1 2inch piece parmesan cheese rind
- 1/4 cup basil leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese optional
- To a 4 quart slow cooker add the cherry tomatoes, both peppers, onion, olive oil, salt and oregano. Stir together with a wooden spoon to combine. Nestle in the sausages and parmesan rind so everything slightly covered in the pepper mixture. Cover and set the cooker on low for 6 hours.
- Before serving, sprinkle with the chopped basil and parmesan cheese if desired.
- *Serving suggestions: Serve sausages in a hoagie bun topped with the peppers, onions and tomatoes and melted cheese, over polenta or rice, or just as is with a side salad.