Photo Credit: Lauren Volo
Seasonal ingredients like apples, cranberries, and sweet potatoes make for a very autumnal dinner. Even better, cleanup is a cinch!
- 1 whole chicken broken into 4 pieces (2 breasts and 2 legs), at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Pink Lady apple cut into 8 wedges
- 1 sweet potato peeled and sliced into ‚Öì-inch rounds
- 2 shallots peeled and cut into 4 wedges
- ½ cup frozen cranberries
- 5 sprigs rosemary
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425°F. With a paper towel, pat the chicken dry, then evenly distribute 1 teaspoon of the salt over all the pieces, including the sides. In a small bowl, whisk together ½ teaspoon of the salt, the vinegar, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the brown sugar, mustard, and red pepper flakes.
- Place the apples, sweet potato, shallots, cranberries, and rosemary onto a rimmed baking tray and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt. Take each piece of chicken and dip it into the sauce and place it skin-side up on the apple mixture.
- Roast the chicken for 35 to 40 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 160°F. Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving alongside the
- apple mixture.