Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
I love a salad that’s loaded up with goodies, and this one definitely fits the bill! With lightly pickled cucumbers, grapes, blueberries, pistachios and gorgonzola cheese, it’s got a ton of amazing flavor going on.
Red, White and Blue Salad
For the quick pickle:
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 English cucumber peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
For the salad:
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 heads radicchio chopped
- 1 curly endive or frisee chopped
- 1 1/2 cups red grapes halved
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted and salted pistachios
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola picante
- This recipe originated on Giada Entertains. Episode: Football Picnic.
- In a small saucepan combine the sugar, vinegar, water and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Place the cucumbers in a small bowl. Pour the brine over the cucumbers and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, olive oil and salt. Add the radicchio, endive, grapes and blueberries. Toss well to coat. Drain the cucumber and sprinkle over the top along with the pistachios and gorgonzola picante. Toss one last time and serve.