Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This coastal dish was inspired by my most recent trip to Capri, where seafood and pasta go hand-in-hand. It creates a silky, lovely tomato sauce once on the plate.
Paccheri Pasta with Pomodorini and Tuna
- 1 pound short tube pasta, such as Paccheri
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 garlic clove smashed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 14 ounce can cherry tomatoes , such as Corbara
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 6.7ounce jar tuna in olive oil, drained
- 1/2 cup Italian parsely leaves chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 2 minutes less than the package directions about 9 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, shallot, garlic and salt and cook stirring often until fragrant and soft, about 3 minutes. Add the white wine bring to a simmer and reduce by half, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cherry tomatoes and pop them with the back of a wooden spoon. Bring to a simmer for 2 minutes. Using a spider or slotted spoon, remove the pasta directly form the water to the sauce. Sprinkle the bare pasta with the grated parmesan and toss everything together. Simmer the pasta in the sauce for 2 minutes. Stir in the tuna, the parsley and 1/4 cup pasta water. Toss well to coat adding more pasta water as needed to maintain a brothy consistency. Serve with additional parmesan and olive oil if desired.