Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
An Aperol spritz is a decidedly warm weather drink, and in this cocktail, the Prosecco and Aperol are replaced with sparkling Lambrusco wine and a touch of Amaro.
Amaro is an Italian bitter liqueur, and it’s so rich with deep flavors from herbs and flowers. It gives this cocktail some great depth, and both the flavor and the color feels like a perfect match for a transitional drink between summer and fall.
- 3 oz Lambrusco wine
- 1 oz Amaro, such as St. Agrestis or Cynar
- 1 oz orange juice
- 1 oz sparkling water, or to taste
- 1 orange wedge, for serving
- 1-3 Amarena cherries, for serving (optional: string them through a short skewer)
- In a cocktail glass filled with ice, add the Lambrusco wine, Amaro, and orangejuice. Run the peel of the orange slice around the glass, then drop it in. Topwith the sparkling water and stir gently to combine. Add the Amarena cherriesto garnish.