Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
With oil-packed tuna and creamy cannellini beans, and a variety of Italian lettuces, this salad is inspired by the flavors of Tuscany. This is a perfect lunch with a variety of textures and bright flavors!
Italian Tuna Salad
- 1 tablespoon capers drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice from 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed, or 2 cups of freshly made cannellini beans
- 1 6.35 ounce jar tuna packed in olive oil, drained
- 1 Belgian endive cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 small treviso cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 small fennel shaved on a mandolin or sliced thinly with a knife
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley leaves
- As seen on: Giada In Italy, Episode 6. Sisters and Cousins.
- To a large bowl add the capers, lemon juice and Dijon mustard. Whisk together. While whisking, drizzle in the olive oil in a steady stream. Whisk in 1/4 teaspoon salt. To the dressing add the beans and mash gently with a spoon. Add the tuna, flaking it with a fork into bite sized pieces as you add it to the bowl. Toss lightly to coat. Add the endive, treviso, arugula, shaved fennel, parsley leaves and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt on top of the tuna mixture. Using your hands, toss the salad together bringing the dressing up from the bottom of the bowl until everything is coated evenly.