Photo Credit: Food Network
At all of my family Sunday suppers growing up, there had to be a salad at the table – after all, what else was going to cut through all that lasagna and risotto? This salad was inspired by the ones I had growing up – it’s a really simple blend of Italian lettuces, with a very easy dressing of lemon juice, olive oil and salt. It really is the perfect simple Italian salad that you can whip up with just about any main course – it really goes with everything!
Because this salad is so basic, you can genuinely taste and enjoy the flavors of the Italian radicchio and treviso. All together, the salad has a great bright flavor from the lemon, with a welcome bit of bitterness from the lettuce. I find it pairs really well with heavier tomato-based dishes, like my lasagna or my mom’s stuffed tomatoes!
Simple Italian Salad
- 1 head radicchio cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large or 2 small endive cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 head Treviso or ½ small radicchio cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large bowl combine the radicchio, endive, Treviso, arugula, lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Use your hands to toss the greens gently and coat them evenly with the dressing.