I love this salad because it feels so savory and fun, but it’s actually very light. The star is the Parmesan-crusted broccoli and cauliflower – simply toss the florets in some beaten egg, and then dredge them in freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Give them a light fry, and they turn so crispy, golden-brown and delicious. It’s a certain way to turn a spinach salad into something more fun!
The simple lemon dressing is a go-to – I use the combination of zest, juice, and a good olive oil for tons of quick salads. It works really well here in tying everything together.
Crispy Parmesan Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad
- 2 1/2 cups bite-sized broccoli florets
- 2 1/2 cups bite-sized cauliflower florets
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 to 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups lightly packed fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 lemon zested
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the broccoli and cauliflower in a large bowl. Toss with the beaten eggs to coat evenly. Place the Parmesan in a large tray or baking dish and dredge the vegetables in the cheese, pressing to coat evenly.
- Pour olive oil in a large heavy skillet until the olive oil is 1/4-inch deep, about 1/2 cup depending on the size of your skillet. Warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, carefully add the Parmesan-coated vegetables. Do not overcrowd the pan. Cook in batches, if necessary. Let the vegetables cook until a crust forms, about 3 minutes per side. Turn the vegetables only when they easily release from the bottom of the pan. Drain on paper towels and season with salt.
- Place the spinach in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Drizzle the spinach with the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Add the Parmesan coated vegetables. Toss and serve.