Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This is my go-to classic tiramisu, with flavors of mascarpone and espresso at the forefront. You can make this dish up to 3 days in advance, cover it in the fridge, and shave fresh chocolate over right before serving.
- *6 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/2 cups strong espresso cooled
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
- 24 packaged ladyfingers
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate shavings for garnish
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer with whisk attachment, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. Add mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon of espresso and mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a small shallow dish, add remaining espresso and rum. Dip each ladyfinger into espresso for only 5 seconds. Letting the ladyfingers soak too long will cause them to fall apart. Place the soaked ladyfinger on the bottom of a 13 by 9 inch baking dish, breaking them in half if necessary in order to fit the bottom.
- Spread evenly 1/2 of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers. Arrange another layer of soaked ladyfingers and top with remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Cover tiramisu with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to 3 days.
- Before serving, sprinkle with chocolate shavings.