Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Everyone loves mashed potatoes! I like to mix them with mozzarella and parmesan cheese to make a decadent dish you won’t be able to resist.
Baked Parmesan Mashed Potatoes with Bread Crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 pounds russet potatoes peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
- This recipe originally appeared on Everyday Italian. Episode: Dinner for Two.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of butter and set aside.
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until they are very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; return the potatoes to the same pot and mash well. Mix in the milk and melted butter. Mix in the mozzarella and 3/4 cup of the Parmesan. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Transfer the potatoes to the prepared baking dish. Stir the bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the mashed potatoes. Recipe can be prepared up to this point 6 hours ahead of time; cover and chill.
- Bake, uncovered, until the topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes.