You must be signed in to print this content
Giada De Laurentiis
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier)
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest (from 1/2 orange)
- As seen on: Giada Entertains, Episode 5. Kickoff Party.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, walnuts, cinnamon, allspice and salt. Set aside.Using a hand mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar together in a large bowl on medium- high speed, scrapping down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed, until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and egg and beat an additional minute.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the flour in 3 batches, beating until the flour is just combined. Place the dough on a large piece of plastic wrap and pat it into a round disk. Refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dust the counter and dough with flour and roll the chilled dough to 1/4 inch thick. Using a football-shaped cookie cutter, cut the dough into footballs and place on the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch between each cookie. Bake until firm to the touch and starting to get a whisper of golden brown around the edges, about 20 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar, orange liqueur and orange zest. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a narrow, round tip. When the cookies are completely cool, pipe lacing on the footballs. Allow them to set up completely before serving. Store in an airtight container to prevent drying out.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 27 grams
- 3 grams
- 9 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 4 grams
- 27 milligrams
- 37 milligrams
- 1 grams
- 13 grams