Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Grilled Panzanella Salad
- 6 1½-inch-thick slices of rustic wheat bread
- 2 medium zucchini halved lengthwise
- 2 Italian eggplants halved lengthwise
- 2 small fennel bulbs halved lengthwise
- 4 medium heirloom tomatoes halved
- 2 large green onions trimmed
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¬æ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¬æ cup chopped fresh basil leaves about 1 bunch
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.
- Arrange the bread slices and all of the vegetables in a single layer on a heavy baking sheet. Drizzle with ½ cup of the oil and season with ½ teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Grill in batches until grill-marked and tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, cut the bread into 1-inch cubes and transfer to a large bowl. Chop the vegetables into ¬æ-inch pieces and add to the bowl. Add the basil and toss together with the bread and vegetables to gently combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, the balsamic vinegar, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss until coated. Serve immediately.