Photo Credit: Food Network
This blend of creamy yukon gold potatoes and sweet potatoes is the perfect balance of savory and sweet for the Thanksgiving table! The crisped up prosciutto adds a great crunchy element that everyone will love.
Sweet and Salty Mashed Potatoes
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 pound sweet potatoes peeled and cut into large pieces
- Kosher salt
- 1 stick 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup heavy cream at room temperature
- 1 vanilla bean split and seeds scraped out
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest from about 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 6 slices prosciutto thinly sliced crosswise into julienne strips
- This recipe originally appeared on Giada's Holiday Handbook. Episode: Giada's Italian Thanksgiving.
- Add both potatoes to a medium saucepan, cover with cold water and season well with salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a small skillet over medium heat until the bits at the bottom of the skillet are deep brown, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the potatoes to a ricer in batches and rice into a medium bowl. Add the butter, cream, vanilla seeds, lemon zest and 3/4 teaspoon salt and mix well with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Heat the oil in a small pan over medium heat until hot. Add the prosciutto and cook, stirring often with a slotted spoon, until crispy and golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a serving bowl and sprinkle with the crispy prosciutto before serving.