Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Marinating strawberries in sugar and red wine vinegar releases their natural juices, creating a delicious tangy-sweet syrup. With no cooking involved, this is a great way to use strawberries at the height of their season. Better yet, it’s just a perfect low-effort dessert!
Raffy's Strawberries In Vinegar
For The Berries:
- 1 pint fresh strawberries hulled and quartered, or sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
For The Whipped Cream:
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves for garnish
- For the berries: In a small bowl, toss the strawberries with the sugar and vinegar. Let the mixture stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours.
- For the whipped cream: In a medium bowl, beat the heavy cream until it forms soft peaks. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Continue to beat until the cream holds stiff peaks.
- To serve: Spoon the strawberries and juices into 2 small glasses and add a dollop of whipped cream. Sprinkle with chopped mint and serve.