Photo Credit: Aubrie Pick
Anything rubbed on hot grilled bread is delicious, but nothing beats ripe, juicy summer tomatoes. The sweet tomato is enhanced by the hot bread. Stack these high on a platter and offer them instead of plain bread for an alfresco lunch with soup or a salad. You can also make this on an outdoor barbecue grill.
- 6 1-inch slices of Italian rustic bread
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium ripe tomato halved
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Brush both sides of the bread slices with the olive oil and grill for 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and toasted. Rub both sides of the grilled bread with the cut side of the tomato, sprinkle with salt, and drizzle with extra oil, if desired.