Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
You can swap out ingredients in this simple weeknight dinner and use whatever you have on hand. Any short pasta will work here if you don’t have orecchiette, and you can use bacon, smoked ham, pancetta, or even salame in place of prosciutto.
Orecchiette With Peas And Prosciutto
- 1 pound of orecchiette pasta uncooked (or any short pasta)
- 2 glugs of olive oil
- About 1/4 pound chopped prosciutto or diced ham, bacon, or pancetta
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 bag frozen peas
- Heaping cup of freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Salt to taste
- More olive oil and Parmigiano Reggiano to taste
- Black pepper or red pepper flakes for finishing
- Cook a pound of orecchiette pasta in a pot of generously salted, boiling water. Cook until al dente. Drain the pasta well reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When it’s hot, add a good 2 glugs of olive oil to the pan along with 1/4 pound chopped prosciutto. Feel free to use bacon or smoked ham here too. Cook that until it is golden and getting crispy. Add a chopped shallot and saute for minute or two. Add 1 bag of frozen peas and half of the pasta water and cook until the peas are bright green and warmed all the way through. Use a fork to mash slightly. Add the pasta and good heaping cup of freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano. Stir to coat in the sauce adding more of the reserved water as needed to keep a sauce consistency. Taste if to see if it needs any kosher salt and season as desired. Finish with more olive oil and cheese. Feel free to top with some freshly ground black pepper or crushed red chili flakes