Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This is a classic recipe in my family, originating from my Nonna Luna. Once you try the creamy, lemony shrimp on top of the perfectly fluffy and buttery rice, it’s going to be a classic in your family too!
Nonna Luna's Rice
- 1 stick 4 ounces unsalted butter, divided, at room temperature
- 2 cups parboiled long-grain rice such as Uncle Ben's
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 pounds small shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup lemon juice about 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce such as Tobasco
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium nonstick saucepan, heat 1/2 of the butter over medium-low heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add the chicken stock and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 20 to 25 minutes until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed. Remove the pan from the heat and rest covered for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes until aromatic. Add the shrimp, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the shrimp is pink and cooked through. Stir in the cream and heat through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Using a fork, fluff the rice and arrange on a platter. Spoon the shrimp cream sauce over the rice and serve.