Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This marinated cherry tomato pasta is everything we love about summer food: hardly any cooking, fresh ingredients, and vibrant flavor. The cherry tomatoes marinate with olive oil, lemon, shallots, garlic and pepper flakes for hours until the flavors marry together. Tossed with fresh basil, shaved Parmesan and your favorite pasta, it’s such a bright and delicious way to eat pasta in the summer! It’s fabulous served warm with freshly cooked pasta, and just as delicious on days 2 and 3 after hanging out in the fridge.
Marinated Cherry Tomato Pasta
- 3 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, from 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, from 2 large lemons
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound dried spaghetti, or pasta of choice
- 1 heaping cup fresh basil, torn
- 1 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- To a large bowl, add the cherry tomatoes, olive oil, shallots, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, kosher salt and pepper flakes. Mix together until the tomatoes and shallots are coated in the marinade.
- Cover the bowl and set aside at room temperature for 2-4 hours.
- Cook the spaghetti to al dente according to package instructions. Add the spaghetti to the bowl with the marinated tomato mixture, and toss to evenly coat. Add the fresh basil and shaved Parmesan and toss until mixed. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.