Photo Credit: Food Network
Not only are these cookies festive for the holidays, but they represent the colors of the Italian flag!
Italian Flag Cookies
- 2 sticks 8 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Green and red food coloring
- Beat the butter, powdered sugar, granulated sugar and salt with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and mix on low to incorporate. Add the flour and beat on low speed until the flour is just incorporated. Divide the dough into 3 equal parts and place them in bowls. Add 15 drops green food coloring to one bowl and 25 drops of red to another and mix well to combine.
- Lay a large piece of plastic wrap on a work surface. Starting with the green, pour the dough out into a long strip about 2 inches wide and 1 inch thick. Pour the white on top of the green in the same manner, forming another strip of the same dimensions; finish with the red. Wrap well, turn on its side so the colors are in the order of the Italian flag and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the plastic wrap from the dough and slice the dough into 1/4-inch slices. Place the cookies 1 inch apart on the baking sheet. Bake until just barely beginning to brown around the edges, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough.