Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This hearty bolognese comes together in under an hour, but by the taste (and the aroma!) you’d swear it spent half the day simmering away on the stovetop.
Instant Pot Turkey Bolognese
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 small or one large carrot peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1 pound ground turkey dark meat preferred
- 1 pound raw Italian turkey sausage casings removed
- 1 25- oz jar of plain marinara sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 sprig of basil plus more chopped for serving
- Set the Instant Pot setting to the saute mode.
- Once hot, add the olive oil. To the oil, add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir occasionally and cook for 4-5 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the ground turkey and turkey sausage to the pot, along with another 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Break up the meat with a wooden spoon while stirring. Cook, stirring often until the meat is cooked through and there is no pink remaining, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the marinara sauce and oregano and bring the sauce to a simmer. Nestle the sprig of basil in the sauce.
- Lock the lid onto the instant pot, and set it to pressure cook mode on high for 20 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, and then quick release.
- Serve hot with pasta, polenta, or spaghetti squash. Top with chopped basil and parmesan cheese if desired.