I love seafood in a salad, and the flavors of this one are wonderful. I use halibut in this recipe, but really, any seafood would be great. Salmon, shrimp, or even scallops!
Often, my favorite salads have more than one type of lettuce – they give it more flavor, body, and more diverse nutrients too. Chickpeas and sliced fennel give the salad lots of texture, and cherry tomatoes give it that pop of brightness. The lemon-honey dressing gives the entire dish a lovely sweetness that ties it all together.
Halibut Salad With Chickpeas
For The Halibut:
- 1 6-ounce halibut steak
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For The Salad:
- 1 head frisee or escarole, chopped
- 1 cup arugula, chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 fennel bulb, stalk removed, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the halibut: Place a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the halibut with olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper. Grill until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Let the fish rest for a few minutes then cut into 1-inch cubes.
- For the salad: In a large bowl, combine the frisee, arugula, tomatoes, chickpeas, and fennel. In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, cumin, salt, and pepper. Drizzle the olive oil mixture over the salad and toss to combine. Top with fish and serve.