The trick to achieving perfectly melted football laces is to use low fat string cheese; it melts slower than full fat cheese, keeping the pattern in shape.
- ½ pound pizza dough
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ pound thinly sliced pepperoni
- 2 sticks low fat string cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the pizza dough into an oblong shape. Pull the edges to create the tips of the football. You can also use a pizza wheel to cut out the shape of the football. Place the football shaped dough on a baking sheet and poke all over with the tines of a fork. Spread the sauce evenly over the dough and sprinkle with the cheese. Starting on the outside edge of the dough start to make circles with the pepperoni overlapping the pepperoni by about a third. Go around the outside edge first then continue moving inward until the entire crust is covered. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 8 minutes.
- While the pizza bakes, quarter one sting cheese lengthwise. Cut the quarters into thirds. Cut the other string cheese in half, length wise, and cut one half in half again leaving you with 3 long pieces. Remove the pizza from the oven. Place one of the thin long pieces on each end about a quarter distance from the tips. Trim if needed. Place the long thicker piece down the middle. Place the small pieces coming off either side of the center piece creating the laces. You'll only need 10 pieces so the left over 2 are a snack. Return the pizza to the oven and bake for an additional 7 minutes or until the crust is cooked on the bottom and the cheese is melted.