One of the best flavor marriages with chocolate is coffee or espresso – in my opinion, they bring out the best in eachother. These cookies are a perfect example of that!
Rich, fudgy, and perfectly crackly on top, these are great occasion-worthy cookies. The secret is to find chocolate-covered espresso or coffee beans. Blitz them in the food processor until they’re broken up, and once folded into the cookie dough, it gives a great espresso flavor throughout along with a crunchy texture in the cookies. With a chocolatey batter and even more chocolate chips added in, these might just be my perfect cookie.
Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (recommended: Ghirardelli)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate-covered espresso beans
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips recommended: Nestle Toll House
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the chocolate and butter. Place the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and stir occasionally until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- In the bowl of a food processor, finely chop the chocolate covered espresso beans. In a medium bowl, whisk together the chopped espresso beans, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, water, and vanilla extract. Gradually add the dry ingredients and stir until thick and smooth. Fold in the melted chocolate. Stir in the chocolate chips. Using a cookie or ice cream scoop, scoop level 1/4 cupfuls of the batter onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake until slightly puffed and the tops begin to crack, 18 to 20 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheets and serve.