Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This ultra creamy, delicious recipe will have you wanting to make gelato every week. You can replace Nutella with peanut butter, almond butter, or even leave the base plain. Once the ice cream is free, feel free to mix in any add-ins: chocolate chunks, nuts, coconut or anything!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 1/4 cup
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread recommended: Nutella
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts crushed, for garnish
- In a saucepan combine the milk, cream, and 1/2 cup sugar over medium heat. Cook until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whip the egg yolks with the remaining sugar using an electric mixer until the eggs have become thick and pale yellow, about 4 minutes. Pour 1/2 cup of the warm milk and cream mixture into the egg mixture and stir. Add this mixture back into the saucepan. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Place a strainer over a medium bowl and pour the warm custard mixture through the strainer. Stir in the vanilla and hazelnut spread until it dissolves. Chill mixture completely before pouring into an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions to freeze. For most ice cream makers, it will take about 20-25 minutes to churn. Freeze for at least 2 hours to solidify.
- To serve, scoop gelato into serving bowls and top with hazelnuts.