Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Cookies are a great vehicle for some sweet-and-salty goodness, and that’s just what’s happening with these cookies! The contrast of sweet white chocolate, dark chocolate, and salty popcorn make some serious deliciousness all wrapped up in Giada’s perfect cookie dough. Flavor aside, we love the texture that the sea salt & olive oil popcorn adds to these too! A bit of snappy crunch all throughout gives these cookies an extra tasty element. Plus, don’t they just look amazingly festive?
Chocolate Chip Popcorn Cookies
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs chilled
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips, plus extra for topping the cookies, optional
- 1/2 dark chocolate chips or chunks, plus extra for topping the cookies, optional
- 2 cups popcorn, such as Simply7 by Giada De Laurentiis Olive Oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cold butter on medium speed, about 1 minute. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix until incorporated. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix on medium-low speed until the mixture looks separated. Turn off the machine and add the dry ingredients. Mix on low speed just until the dough comes together. Turn off the machine and fold in the chocolate chips and popcorn by hand using a rubber spatula.
- Drop the dough onto a parchment-lined sheet tray in 1/4-cup mounds. If desired, top each mound of dough with extra chocolate chips and pieces of popcorn. Place the tray in the freezer and freeze for 20 minutes. (You can also freeze the cookie dough mounds on a plate for this step)
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake the cookies straight from the freezer until still slightly under-baked in the middle but golden brown around the edges and beginning to brown on top, about 15-18 minutes.
- Cool the cookies on the tray for 5 minutes before cooling completely on a wire rack.