Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This easy lunch is a healthier, more vibrant spin on the average chicken salad.
Chicken & Arugula Pesto Pitas
For The Pita:
- 2 whole-wheat pitas halved and opened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup Arugula Pesto recipe follows
- 2 store-bought rotisserie chicken breasts diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 8 cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 cup arugula
For The Arugula Pesto:
- 2 cups packed arugula
- 1 clove garlic peeled and halved
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Arrange the pita halves on a baking sheet and bake for 5 to 7 minutes until warmed through.
- For the pesto, blend the arugula and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. With the machine running, gradually add the oil until well blended. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in Parmesan and salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon zest and Arugula Pesto. Stir in the diced chicken.
- To assemble the pita pockets, fill each pita half with the chicken mixture. Top with tomatoes and 1/4 cup arugula and serve.