Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Cheesy Mortadella Bites
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry half a 17.3-ounce package, thawed
- 8 ounces mortadella cut into 1/2-by-1/2-by-2 1/2-inch batons
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/2 cup approximately 2 ounces grated Gruyere
- Dijon mustard for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unfold the sheet of puff pastry and roll into an 11-inch square. Using a pizza wheel or sharp knife, slice the dough into 1/2-inch-thick strips. Wrap each baton of mortadella in one strip of puff pastry, overlapping the dough slightly with each wrap-around to create a spiral appearance in the dough while leaving the mortadella ends exposed.
- Place the rolls on the prepared baking sheet, spaced 1 inch apart. Brush each roll with egg and top with a good pinch of Gruyere. Bake until golden brown and puffed, 25 minutes.
- Serve warm, with mustard if desired.