This recipe is like two classic Italian dishes in one: crispy cutlets of Chicken Milanese, and the flavorful sauce of Chicken Cacciatore. Think of this as a bright summer version of Cacciatore – fresh cherry tomatoes are the star, along with fresh mushrooms, bell pepper and onion with capers and herbs. The fresh flavor of the vegetables pairs perfectly with crispy chicken.
What makes this dish even better is that it’s a one-pan situation – perfect for weeknights! Additionally, this recipe uses rice flour and gluten-free panko, so it’s totally gluten-free. However, you could easily replace with flour and regular panko breadcrumbs.
Cacciatore-Style Chicken Milanese
For The Chicken:
- 4 chicken cutlets about 4 ounces each, pounded thin
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup gluten-free panko
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper optional
For The Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more as needed
- 5 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons capers drained
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, such as Tutto Calabria
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- For the chicken: Season the pounded cutlets evenly on all sides with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Put the rice flour, eggs and panko in 3 separate shallow bowls. Season the flour with 1/4 teaspoon salt, the eggs with 1/4 teaspoons salt and the breadcrumbs with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Working with one piece at a time, dredge the seasoned chicken cutlets in the flour, then the egg mixture and finishing with the breadcrumbs, pressing gently to make sure the breadcrumbs adhere evenly.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil to the hot pan and heat another 10 seconds. Working in batches if necessary, add the breaded chicken to the pan and cook until the first side is deep golden brown and the chicken begins to look cooked around the edges, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip the cutlets and continue to cook on the second side until golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes more. Remove the chicken to a wire rack and season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper if desired.
- For the sauce: Wipe out the pan if needed and return to medium heat. Add the olive oil, mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until deep golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook to soften slightly, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, capers, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes if using and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook until the tomatoes start to release their juices, about 3 minutes longer. Spoon the sauce over the crispy cutlets and serve topped with the basil.