Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
What takes this fruit salad up a notch is the delicious syrup, made with white wine, sugar and mint. The sugar draws out the juices from the fruit, and the flavors all marry together and create something really refreshing and special. Make this a few hours ahead of time to give the fruit and the syrup enough time to marinate together – then it’s perfect to bring along for a picnic!
White Wine Fruit Salad
- 1 1/4 cups dry white wine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 ripe cantaloupe halved, seeded, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 basket 8-ounce fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 cup seedless green grapes halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- Bring the wine and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Chop and combine the cantaloupe, strawberries, grapes, and mint in a large bowl. Pour the warm wine mixture over; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until cold, stirring occasionally, at least 2 hours.
- Transfer to the fruit mixture to a wide jar with a tight-fitting lid. Keep chilled.