Photo Credit: Aubrie Pick
The beauty of this soup is its simplicity, because it is mild yet flavorful. It’s what my mom would make for my brother, my sister, and me when we were under the weather. It’s so soothing and comforting, like a big hug. It’s also great for breakfast!
- 1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 garlic clove smashed and peeled
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil for garnish
- This recipe originally appeared in Giada's Italy.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the bread crumbs, eggs, and 1 ‚ÅÑ 4 teaspoon of the salt. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, thyme, garlic, and the remaining 3‚ÅÑ 4 teaspoon salt with 2 cups of water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook gently for 5 minutes. Remove the thyme and garlic clove with a slotted spoon and discard. With the broth at a gentle simmer, whisk in the Parmigiano-Reggiano. When the cheese has melted, stir the liquid so that it swirls.
- Pour the egg mixture into the center of the swirling liquid and let it cook for 30 seconds, then give it a stir with a fork to break it up a bit. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve garnished with the basil.