Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
These decadent cookies are for the serious chocolate lover! Popcorn adds a surprising crunch and buttery flavor that will make these stand out on any cookie platter.
Salted Double Chocolate Popcorn Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter-flavored popcorn such as Simply7- Giada's Butter Flavored Popcorn, lightly crushed
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chunks or chips
- Sea salt flakes to finish such as Maldon, if desired
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- To the bowl of an electric mixer, add the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Mix on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the egg and vanilla. Mix on medium until fully incorporated. Scrape down the sides again.
- Add the dry flour mixture to the electric mixer and mix until just incorporated. Remove the bowl from the electric mixer and use a rubber spatula to gently fold in the chocolate chunks and popcorn.
- Using a 2oz cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving at least 2 inches in between each cookie. Sprinkle sea salt flakes on the dough if desired. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake for 11 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are just set and the middles still seem underdone. Cool completely on the baking sheets before removing to a plate.