Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
It doesn’t get much better than this for a spring and summer dessert. Fresh lemony pound cake gets layered with sweet macerated strawberries, and topped off with ice cream and whipped cream. I love that this can be totally prepped in advance, then all you need to do is assemble a few ingredients together when it’s time to eat.
Pound Cake Parfaits With Strawberries
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup part skim ricotta cheese at room temperature
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest from 3 lemons
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice from 2 lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the assembly:
- 1 quart strawberries hulled and diced
- 4 tablespoons sugar divided
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream chilled
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 slices Lemon Ricotta Pound Cake
- 1 pint vanilla or strawberry ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9x5 inch metal loaf pan and line the bottom and sides with a strip of parchment paper.
- To a large bowl add the butter, sugar and ricotta cheese. Using a handheld mixer, beat the mixture on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and add the eggs, the lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla extract and beat to combine. Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Using a rubber spatula, fold the ingredients together until just combined. Do not over mix. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove to a rack to cool for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl combine the berries, 2 tablespoon sugar and salt. using a fork, toss well to combine, mashing the berries slightly with the back of the fork. Allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. In a separate bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and the vanilla extract until soft peaks form.
- Dice the 6 slices of cooled lemon loaf and divide evenly among 6 bowls or glasses. Top each serving with some of the strawberry sauce, followed by a scoop of ice cream and a dollop of whipped cream.