Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Penne with Corn and Spicy Sausage
- 1 pound penne rigate
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces spicy Italian sausage about 4 links, casings removed
- 2 shallots diced
- 2 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus for the pasta water
- 8 ounces mascarpone room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Calabrian chile paste
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano plus for serving
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the penne and cook according to package directions or until al dente. Drain well, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and sausage; cook for about 5 minutes, breaking up the sausage into bite-size pieces with a wooden spoon. Add the shallots and cook for another minute. Stir in the corn and salt, and cook, stirring often, until the corn is warmed through, another 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- To the bowl, add the mascarpone, chile paste and the hot pasta and reserved pasta water. Add the Parmesan directly over the untossed hot pasta. Using a large serving spoon, toss everything together well. Add the basil and toss again. Serve with additional Parmesan if desired.