Lunch doesn’t get better than a classic Italian salumi sandwich. Salumi, not to be confused with salami, is a catch-all term for Italian cured meats. This recipe calls for hot coppa and finocchiona, but you can use your favorites. The salty meat paired with fresh pesto, zesty arugula, and creamy mozzarella cheese is such a delicious combination of flavors. I like using ciabatta bread for this sandwich, but you can use whatever artisan bread you have handy.
This sandwich is perfect for picnics, cookouts, or any time that calls for a make-ahead dish that can feed a crowd! I love to assemble this sandwich a day before we eat it, and if I’m bringing it somewhere, I’ll cut the sandwich into portions and individually wrap them in wax paper. It’s such a crowd-pleaser – who doesn’t love salumi, pesto and fresh mozzarella cheese in a sandwich?
Marinated Salumi Sandwich
For the pesto:
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
for the sandwich:
- 1 large loaf ciabatta bread sliced in half horizonally
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hot coppa or other spicy salumi
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced finocchiona
- 3/4 pound ball lightly salted fresh mozzarella sliced or torn
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 small fennel thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice from half of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- As seen on: Giada in Italy, Episode 10. Bocce Ball Picnic.
- For the pesto, place the almonds and garlic in the bowl of a food processer. Pulse to coarsely chop. Add the basil, lemon zest and cheese and pulse to combine. Add the olive oil and salt and puree until a smooth paste forms.
- Open the loaf of bread and pull out some of the excess bread from the inside leaving a slightly hollowed out loaf of bread. Spread the pesto evenly over the inside of both sides of bread. Layer the coppa, finochiona and mozzarella on the bottom of the bread. In a small bowl toss together the arugula, fennel, lemon juice and olive oil. Top meats and cheese with the salad. Top with the remaining half of the bread and press together. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least an hour or up to over night before slicing and serving.