Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
At Italian weddings, there is often a sweets table in addition to the cake, laden with cookies and other treats for the guests. It’s a tradition that works just as well for a holiday party, and front and center on your table should be Giada’s Italian wedding cookies- they melt-in-your-mouth! A generous dusting of powdered sugar adds a snowy cap – perfect for the winter season!
Looking for more Italian cookies ideas? Check out Giada’s guide to Italian cookies here.
Italian Wedding Cookies
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the butter and powdered sugar. Beat on medium speed until pale, light and fluffy. Add the almond extract, salt and egg. Beat again for 1 minute. Add the flour and almond flour and mix on low until just combined.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon sized mounds and roll them in your hands. Place onto a rimmed baking sheet, press down slightly and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until just set but not brown. Cool slightly on the tray, about 10 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar before removing to a rack to cool completely.