Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
When you need a vegetable side dish for your Italian meal in a pinch, don’t worry about slow-roasting any veggies! This is a great method to cooking vegetables super quickly, and thanks to ingredients like oregano, garlic and vinegar, it has a bright Italian flavor that I love. You can really use up just about any odds-and-ends of veggies in your fridge (or freezer, for that matter) in this recipe, so it’s wonderful for a kitchen-cleanout type of dinner. I love topping it with roasted slivered almonds, because it gives such a welcome crunch and toasty flavor.
The recipe calls for white balsamic vinegar, but you can use just about any vinegar you have. Apple cider or white wine vinegar are great too.
Italian Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 1/3 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves smashed and peeled
- 1 head broccoli cut into 1 inch florets
- 2 carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- Handful of greens such as baby arugula spinach or baby kale, optional
- 1/4 cup roasted slivered almonds or other roasted nut
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil and heat another 30 seconds. To the hot pan add the red onion, bell pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the pepper flakes, oregano, garlic, broccoli and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetable are beginning to brown and are cooked through. Stir in the carrots and remaining salt and cook for 2 minutes. Deglaze with the balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon of water. Toss well to coat. Sprinkle with the almonds and serve over rice if desired.