Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This is a great dish to serve for a light bite when entertaining, or as a perfect make-ahead light lunch for the work week.
Italian Chicken Salad in Lettuce Cups
- 10 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken from about 3 purchased roasted whole chickens
- 2 cups roasted red and yellow bell peppers drained, patted dry, and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups paper-thin slices red onion
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 1/2 cup drained capers
- 1 1/2 cups about Red Wine Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 24 butter lettuce leaves from about 3 large heads
- 1 4-ounce piece Parmesan, shaved with vegetable peeler
Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- For the vinaigrette, combine the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a blender. With the machine running, gradually add the oil and blend until emulsified. It will make more than enough - store the remaining vinaigrette in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- Toss the chicken, bell peppers, onion, parsley, almonds, and capers in a large bowl with enough vinaigrette to moisten. Season the chicken salad with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Arrange 1 large lettuce cup and 1 small lettuce cup on each plate, overlapping slightly. Spoon the chicken salad into the lettuce cups. Drizzle more vinaigrette over the salads. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve.