Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
A perfect winter salad, this is full of colors, flavors, and textures that will set your taste buds tingling: crunchy apples, crisp endive, and creamy avocado.
Aunt Raffy's Holiday Salad
- 3 lemons
- 4 Belgian endives ends trimmed and cut into 1- inch slices
- 1 medium green apple cored and cut into small cubes
- 2/3 cup corn kernels cut from 1/2 ear of corn and simmered for 3 minutes or defrosted frozen corn
- 1/4 pound Gruyère cheese cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 avocado cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small pomegranate optional
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon in a large bowl and add the endive and apples. Toss to coat so they don’t turn brown. Add the corn and cheese and toss. Place the avocado cubes in another bowl and squeeze the second half lemon over them. Toss very gently to coat and add to the salad. Cut the pomegranate in half, if using. Hold over a cutting board, cut side down, and use a wooden spoon to lightly beat the skin, causing the seeds to fall onto the board. Sprinkle the seeds over the salad.
- To make the dressing, juice the remaining 2 lemons into a medium bowl. Gradually add the olive oil, whisking constantly, and season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently.