Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Pesto is such a delicious condiment, and one of my favorite things about it is that you can use so many different greens. Don’t have basil? I have a recipe for arugula pesto, and even parsley pesto! In this version, I opted for spinach, which gives it a superfood boost – and just tastes good, too, especially with the addition of lemon to brighten things up. Pesto is a great way to turn something simple like grilled chicken into a more complete, gourmet and flavorful meal!
Additionally – if you don’t have pine nuts, I find that almonds and walnuts work well instead.
Grilled Chicken with Spinach Pesto
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups lightly packed baby spinach leaves about 2 ounces
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Watch how to make this recipe.
- Heat a grill pan on medium high heat. Lightly oil the grill pan. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Combine the spinach, pine nuts, lemon juice, and lemon peel in a processor. Lightly pulse. With the machine running, gradually add 1/3 cup of the oil, blending until the mixture is creamy. Add salt and pulse. Put half of the pesto into ice cube trays and store in the freezer for future use.
- Transfer the rest of the spinach mixture to a medium bowl. Stir in the Parmesan. Season the pesto with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread the pesto over each piece of chicken and serve.