Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This super-quick dinner is bursting with fresh flavor, and brown rice flour keeps the fish crispy… and gluten free!
Gluten Free Sole With Lemon Caper Sauce
- 4 filets of lemon sole
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1/3 cup rice flour for dredging
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter divided at room temperature
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup capers drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 ½ lemons
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Calabrian chili paste
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- Using paper towel, dry the sole filets very well. Season the fish with evenly with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Heat a medium skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan. When the butter is fully melted and the bubbles have subsided, dredge both sides of 2 filets in flour. Shake off the excess and add the fish to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium high.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on the first side or until beginning to brown around the edges.
- Using a fish spatula, flip the fish gently and cook for another 30 second. Remove the filets to a plate and continue with the remaining olive oil, butter and fish.
- When all 4 filets are cooked and out of the pan, add the garlic and capers and stir over medium heat for about 15 seconds or until fragrant. Add the lemon juice and chicken stock and stir scraping up the bits from the bottom of the pan. Season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Simmer for about 2 minutes to reduce the liquid slightly. Finish the sauce by stirring in the remaining tablespoon butter, chili paste and oregano. Spoon the sauce over the fish, sprinkle with the parsley and serve.