Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This banana bread is a recipe I started working on for my upcoming cookbook, but if I do say so myself, it’s just too good not to share! You can omit the chocolate chips if you want, but to me, they’re a non-negotiable addition! The blend of rice flour and almond flour, along with bananas and almond butter, work together to make a seriously perfect texture and crumb in this banana bread. If you didn’t know any better, you’d probably never guess that it’s totally gluten-free!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1/3 cup roasted almond butter
- 3 tablespoons melted and cooled coconut oil
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- This recipe originated on an episode of Giada Entertains. Episode: Chocolate for Breakfast.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly brush the inside of a 10 by 5 inch loaf pan with coconut oil and line with a strip of parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with the back of a fork until only a few lumps remain. Add the egg and mix until smooth. Using the fork, whisk in the almond butter, coconut oil, sugar, almond milk and vanilla until smooth and incorporated. Add the almond flour, rice flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Use a rubber spatula to stir until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan sprinkle the walnuts on top. Bake for about 1 hour and 5 to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the bread is firm to the touch and a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out with very few crumbs. Allow to cool for 30 minutes in the pan resting on it’s side. Loosen the edges with a knife and remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Bread will keep for 4 days at room temperature or can be sliced and frozen for up to a month.