Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This is one of those great dinners that you can whip up easily on any weeknight, but it’s still an impressive enough dinner that you could absolutely serve to company. It’s a simple, delicious shrimp scampi that’s all tied together with a lemony vinaigrette mixed in at the end.
Giada's Lemony Shrimp Scampi With Orzo
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound orzo pasta
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest of 2 large lemons
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice from 2 large lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot chopped
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup dry white wine such as pinot grigio
- 5 cups 6 ounces baby arugula
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water.
- For the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the shrimp, salt and pepper. Cook until the shrimp turn pink and are cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the skillet. Increase the heat to high. Add the wine and arugula. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1 minute until most of the liquid has evaporated and the arugula has wilted. Add the cooked pasta, cooked shrimp and vinaigrette to the skillet. Toss until all the ingredients are coated, adding the reserve pasta water, if needed, to loosen the pasta.
- Transfer to a large bowl and serve.