Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This is the easiest sauce you will ever make, and a very tasty one, but then what doesn’t taste good when it’s drenched in butter? This is the perfect topping for stuffed pastas like ravioli, tortellini and agnolloti. The sage leaves are more traditional in this sauce, but I love the basil also. If neither of these herbs work for you, feel free to substitute your favorite herb.
Giada's Brown Butter Sauce
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter
- 6 fresh sage leaves torn into pieces or 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more to taste
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- In a large, heavy frying pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat until pale golden, about 4 minutes. Add the sage or basil leaves and cook until crisp, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and the nutmeg. Season the sauce with more salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese, and serve.