Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This endive salad utilizes one of my favorite types of lettuce: chicories! Treviso and red endive are bitter lettuces that are super popular in Italy, and they’re in the same family as radicchio. I love to pair them with bright, sweet flavors – in this case, with citrus, pomegranate seeds and whole grain mustard. Some freshly crisped up pancetta adds a great hit of saltiness, and all together, this is one fabulous salad that will pair great with any holiday meal. And how about those colors together?
Grilled Endive Salad With Citrus And Pancetta
- 3 red endive halved
- 1 large Treviso quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 blood or cara cara orange segmented
- 1 clementine peeled and sliced in rounds
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil optional
For the dressing:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 pound thick cut pancetta cut into 1/3 inch dice
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat.
- Place the endive and Treviso on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle evenly with the oil and season with the salt. Grill each half for about 4 minutes flipping the halves after 2 minutes. Remove the chicories to a plater and arrange nicely. Scatter the orange segments over the chicories and tuck the clementine rounds throughout. Sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds.
- Meanwhile add the pancetta to a small skillet and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring often until the fat is rendered and the pancetta is just about crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the shallots and cook until the shallots are soft and fragrant and the pancetta is fully crisp, about 3 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Stir in the mustard and vinegar. Spoon the dressing over the salad, top with basil if using and serve immediately.