Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Almond and cherry is a delicious and classic flavor combo that comes together in these easy cookies! They’re perfectly just sweet enough, and the almond flour gives them such a great texture – and happens to make them totally gluten free!
Chewy Almond and Cherry Thumbprint Cookies
- 4 cups almond flour divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey such as thyme or clover
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest from 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons limoncello
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons cherry jam
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread 2 cups of the almond flour on a rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring half way through, or until the flour is golden brown and toasted. Immediately add it to a medium bowl to cool for 5 minutes. Line the baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper and set aside.
- To the toasted flour add the remaining 2 cups of almond flour, the sugar, honey, salt, lemon zest, limoncello and egg. Using a rubber spatula, stir until well combined and a dough is formed. Scoop heaping 1 tablespoon scoops of the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving 1 inch between cookies. Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand using your thumb make a small indent in the center of each cookie. Fill the indents with 1/2 teaspoon cherry jam. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or golden brown and just set. Allow to cool slightly on the tray for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.