Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
These ice cream sandwiches are seriously decadent, and a favorite among kids and grown-ups alike! Super chocolatey cookies get sprinkles with a variety of chocolate chips – you can go for peanut butter chips, white chocolate, or classic – and sandwich some peanut butter ice cream inside, and you’ve got a delicious frosty treat ready to go at all times.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mixed chips such as peanut butter chips semisweet, bittersweet or white chocolate chips
- 1 pint chocolate peanut butter ice cream softened slightly
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat the mixture until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt and beat again until smooth and combined. Add the flour, peanut butter chips, and chocolate chips. Use a rubber spatula to stir until just mixed.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out 2-inch balls of dough. Place 14 on each cookie sheet. Bake until they are just set around the edges and the tops look dry, rotating half way through, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes on the baking sheets. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cookies are completely cool, scoop a heaping tablespoon size scoop of the ice cream onto the flat side of one cookie. Top with another cookie and press together gently. Continue with the remaining cookies and ice cream freezing the sandwiches as you go.