Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Not only is this a lighter way to get your pasta fix, but it takes way less time – and only one pan!
Zucchini Spaghetti with Sun Gold Tomato Sauce
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 star anise
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme plus 2 teaspoons chopped leaves for sprinkling
- 4 cups sun gold or cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt plus 1 teaspoon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
- To make the zucchini spaghetti noodles: Attach the zucchini to a spiral slicer to slice the zucchini into thin strips. Set the noodles aside in a large bowl while you make the sauce.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, red chili flakes, star anise, and thyme, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and vinegar and stir gently to combine. Cook the sauce, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes have released their juices, about 8 minutes.
- Discard the star anise and thyme sprigs, and add the zucchini noodles and remaining salt. Toss gently to coat the noodles with the sauce and cook for another 2 minutes to warm the noodles.